Recent studies discussed within Parliament have shown that running has become the most popular sport in the United Kingdom. The research stated that 15% of the population participate in running whilst only 5% participate in football [Ref 1].
Unfortunately running and similar sports cause lower limb injury with most of these injuries occurring around the knee. The work by Lopez and team provides details of all the common running related injuries [Ref 2].
Various researchers and scientists have identified that running and sports related injuries can be decreased by the use of Orthotics. If you require further information please click on the links below [Ref 3 to 7]
- Lopes AD, Hespanhol Júnior LC, Yeung SS, Costa LO. What are the main running-related musculoskeletal injuries? A Systematic Review. Sports Med. 2012 Oct 1;42(10):891-905
- Franklyn-Miller A, Wilson C, Bilzon J, McCrory P. Foot orthoses in the prevention of injury in initial military training: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Sports Med. 2011 Jan;39(1):30-7. doi: 10.1177/0363546510382852. Epub 2010 Nov 1. PMID: 21041512.
- Burke JR, Papuga MO. Effects of foot orthotics on running economy: methodological considerations. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2012 May;35(4):327-36. doi: 10.1016/j.jmpt.2012.04.001. PMID: 22632593.
- Bonanno DR, Landorf KB, Munteanu SE, Murley GS, Menz HB. Effectiveness of foot orthoses and shock-absorbing insoles for the prevention of injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Sports Med. 2017 Jan;51(2):86-96. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2016-096671. Epub 2016 Dec 5. PMID: 27919918.
- Ampat G, Baxter R and Geoghegan F. Pedobarograph based prefabricated orthotics reduces self reported minor injuries and improves comfort whilst running. MOJ Orthopedics & Rheumatology Vol 12, No 12 (2020) Corpus ID: 212604645
- Hume P, Hopkins W, Rome K, Maulder P, Coyle G, Nigg B. Effectiveness of foot orthoses for treatment and prevention of lower limb injuries : a review. Sports Med. 2008;38(9):759-79. doi: 10.2165/00007256-200838090-00005. PMID: 18712943.